Today has been a day for the birds, a day that no one wants to go through, and a day that both my husband and I asked God why?!?!?
I ended up having to go into work at 12am this morning, working a short seven hour shift before being able to go home and go to bed. When I got home quarter till nine, I put my pajamas on and crawled into bed next to my hubby. The bed was nice and warm, so I instantly passed out.
Eleven o’clock rolled around and my phone rang, being on call I answered it as professionally as I could. It was my husband. All he said was “I need you to come over to the farm, I need your help” I don’t ever get these calls when he knows that I haven’t gotten enough sleep. I threw my jeans on, a sweatshirt, my carhart jacket and my muck boots. I hoped in my car and headed on my three mile journey to the farm.
I got there and my husband was frantic.
My father in law had been in the shop working on some machinery with the heaters on and his stereo jamming, when he started to get a little dizzy. He called my mother in law who took him to the ER because he had carbon monoxide poisoning. He was lucky to be in the state that he was, because it could have been way worse.
This Sunday was one for the books.
Just weeks ago after harvest was finished we had let the cows out into the corn field to graze on whatever corn was left. Last week one of our heifer calves had been bloated and died. They tried everything but she didn’t make it. Just a week or two before that we lost the eldest cow on the farm. Today when I arrived and saw one of our younger cows down in the dry lot, my heart sank into my boots. We tubbed her and got mineral oil into her belly before getting the vet on the phone. The hour that we had to wait was crucial and we didn’t think she was going to last long. We got a halter on her, got her agitated just enough to get her to get up and to walk to the barn, and finally witnessed her drink some water.
This cow had been halter broken years ago, but had NEVER been led with a halter.
That’s how much pain she was in!
The vet came and tubbed her with some laxatives mixed with an anti acid to try and get her to have a shit. (Sorry for my French, but that’s really what we needed from her was a good ole shit). After that, he gave her an IV with some fluids to try and get her blood pumping enough to get her to drink. An hour goes by and she gets up, drinks a good amount of water and was given some grass hay. By this time it was almost three in the afternoon and we were starving. Miles and I went home to get a late lunch and take a good afternoon nap. Who doesn’t take a Sunday afternoon nap?!?! By the time we woke up it was time to do chores, make supper and get things prepared for the week.
He checked on her, she was fine!
We both went to check on her one more time before we headed to bed, and as we walked into the barn, flipped the lights on…we saw he lifeless body laying right where she was when I had left earlier to go make lunch. My heart sank, my mind started racing, but I couldn’t cry. I’ve seen it too many times while growing up.
They are fine one minute, then dead the next.
Even though things have been taken from us that we cannot get back, satan isn’t going to over power us. We are NOT going to let him make us dwell on the past or dwell on our future endeavors when raising our animals! It’s part of life. The good times and the bad, both in which we will tip our hats and Thank the good Lord above!
“Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.”
– Vicki Harrison